Congratulations are in order for yet another UD couple... Ashley Parkes & Tim Rowles. They got together in Rome and nobody gave them much of a shot because nobody thought they even knew one another... and they didn't. Apparently it was late one evening on the Rome campus when Tim approached Ashley and engaged her in a conversation that would kickstart one of the sweetest relationships I've ever encountered.
At first the pairing of Ashley & Tim was met with confusion from those who didn't think they were a good fit. Tim's very outspoken and loud and popular among the class of 2011. Ashley came to UD a quiet girl who loves ponies and has a giggle that would make a 6 month old green with envy. Through this relationship, they both changed into mature, loving individuals. As a matter of fact, Ashley actually won 'Most Changed Since Freshman Year' during Senior Superlatives.
Ashley has become a bit of a Cinderella story. She was, if I may, a little bit dorky (look who's talking...) and silly. Since Rome, I've watched her blossom into a lovely, outgoing, creative, expressive young woman. I've got to say, I'm quite proud of Ashley for what she's accomplished both personally and academically.
Tim was this ball of energy who was quite the flirt and was akin to Taz the Tasmanian Devil. He is best known among our class as 'Sketchy Tim'. He was that guy who made the girls a little uncomfortable with his open flirting and his pension for pushing the envelope with regards to his attitudes and convictions. After Rome, after Ashley, I started seeing him less as 'Sketchy Tim' and more as just Tim. He joined the rugby team, and managed to keep his party boy image with a side of sensitivity and refinement. I am glad that of all the guys at this school, Ashley managed to nab this one. He looks after Ashley with the same fervor as an Emperor Penguin caring for his egg. It's quite adorable...
I know what you all are waiting for: How did he do it?
That story is actually quite funny/stressful.
I showed up at Ashley's Senior Studio, her final art project, for which she created several original dresses. I was amazed at the final product, and as someone who saw the creative process and had plenty of behind-the-scenes looks at the progression, I was excited the whole way over. When I got there, a small group of close friends was all abuzz with talk of proposal. I was so excited when I found out that it would be THE night. As the evening drew to a close, Tim began to get really excited... and not in a good way. He was pacing in and out of the reception to collect himself. The fact that people were slow to leave was not helping him out in any way. After a good number of people had left and only close friends and family were present, he decided it was time. He gave us the signal and we followed, cameras in hand, close behind like ducks in a row.
Tim pulled Ashley in close and whispered in her ear. She had a hard time focusing and was probably more concerned with why a circle had suddenly formed. Once he got her attention, he started, what I assume was a declaration of love and intent. She got really nervous at that point and eventually became aware of the situation.
The above photo was captured right as she said "I swear to God, if you're proposing to me..."
...and he did. The moment he dropped to that knee, the whole room erupted in an orchestra of shrieks and cries of excitement. I, on the other hand, began to cry like a little baby. Close friends of ours came and gathered me up in their arms while we continued to scream in jubilation... and I, of course, continued to cry. As Tim got back up and put the (impressive) ring on Ashley's finger, one thought raced through everyone's minds:
It's about freaking time.
Ally




No comments:
Post a Comment