If you recall the posts from last year's Fall/Winter season, then you remember me mentioning a few of our holiday traditions, particularly those that take place during our trips to Mexico. Well, I've managed to scrounge up a few photos from long ago that give a visual of these traditions in progress...
I mentioned our family praying the Rosary followed by an adoration of the Baby Jesus. We all line up, kiss our Jesus statue and take a Hersey Kiss. Sounds like a great tradition... Jesus + Candy :)
![]() |
| Why I was trusted with a plate full of candy, I have no idea... |
Another tradition that has since faded out due to a greater sense of awareness and embarrassment is the dancing to popular music. This isn't like, partner dancing because we still do that. This is more like: we've watched the Backstreet Boys and Britney Spears videos enough times to have learned the choreography and are happy to share the fruits of our labor. One Christmas, Daddy caught my cousin Dario and me dancing to N'Sync's "It's Gonna Be Me" on video... I am pretty sure it's downstairs on a mini cassette and one day I'll have to make it into a video file on the computer. But for now we have this:
![]() |
| Pretty sure I'm dancing to the theme song from a telenovela. |
Anyways... of course there's the tradition of sitting around and drinking until 4am. I kid you not, one year, the night before we were scheduled to leave to Houston, we stayed up until about 3:30am. I went to bed for what reason I have no idea, but I woke up at 5:30am to find our friend arriving at the house, just getting back from the night club. Then we said our goodbyes and went to the airport. It was really funny. He left, danced, then came back to find some of us still awake and some of us just getting up after a 2hour nap. Those times are really fun, though. We used to play 'Never Have I Ever' or 'Truth or Dare' or just sat and talked about stuff or ate desserts that were left out or made coffee or kept drinking.
There's also the tradition of my birthday party. We always have the cake, the same HAPPY BIRTHDAY banner, and the mordida where you take a bite and it's all fun and games until your face is smooshed into the cake...
There are two birthdays where my cousin's friend and local musician came by and took pictures with me. When I was little I was like "OMIGOD! A FAMOUS PERSON!" But later on, I just knew him as our family's friend. Oh how silly I was.
Then, of course, the family gets in on the photo fun!
Oh, and of course... we can't forget the opening of the presents and just being together!!
![]() |
| That Madeline doll even had her appendix taken out! |
![]() |
| If you open the full-size version, you see my face looking all drunk as hell. |
![]() |
| OH LORDIE MY HAIR!!! |
![]() |
| Playing with my new Beauty & the Beast dolls. Little town, it's a quiet village... |
Well, hopefully I'll get a new scanner and get some more photos up :) There's one for about $40. Maybe I'll spend the rest of my Christmas budget on that! Until later!
<3 Ally
"I've Got Plenty to be Thankful For" - Bing Crosby






















No comments:
Post a Comment