Moving along...
I was thinking about Christmas in Mexico some more, and I'd thought I'd share some more traditions and things that make me happy. To start off, we usually go to the children's wing in the hospital to hand out toys for the kids and toiletries for the parents who stay in the hospital with them. Following the distribution of gifts, which is kind of heartbreaking but hopeful, we gather around a Christmas tree and Nativity scene at the entrance of the wing and say the Rosary. My Tia will lead the Rosary and will sing Christmas songs, (all about Jesus, mind you,) in between the Mysteries. It's a bittersweet moment, for you have some of the kids being wheeled out to pray with their parents, you've got parents that haven't been home for days or weeks on end because they stay with their kids, and you've got the caretakers who have to cater to these sick children and who have probably become as attached to them as their parents. Everyone prays for healing and for miracles and it's a sad yet lovely sight to see everyone come together and pray for the same thing.
There are other traditions we partake in. The Rosary is usually repeated at home with the rest of the family who don't go to the hospital. The Rosary is followed by a reverence to the Baby Jesus then food. Of course food. The food is followed by more food, more deserts, and more beer. More importantly, the aforementioned traditions are accompanied by family, good friends, great conversation, and memories being made. Following ALL that, we have the opening of gifts, which is pretty much awesome. We have 2 young kids in our family and one baby, so to see the older two freak out about their gifts is phenomenal. Sometimes we go above and beyond and even though they might get so excited they forget to say 'Gracias', we know it means something to them and that's enough.
This is a little late, but I apologize for not having more stories about my parents. It's the holidays, you see, and I'd like to get away from making fun of my parents for a while and instead concentrate on what's important: love.
That being said, I give you more Christmas memories:
| Tia, Mommy, Tia, Tia, Tia, Tia Hahaha... I love it |
| Tio, Daddy, Primo, Primo, Primo, Tio... no idea. Whoops. Again, LOVES it |
| More family enjoying a Christmas card game |
| Me with two of my cousins wandering around the street... back when it was safe to do so at 2:30am. |
| Lulis and JJ He later went off to become a musician and we haven't seen him around lately. That's a shame. He was so nice... |
| Would you LOOK at all that food? No wonder I can't ever wait to get there. |
| Tia, Me with Miguelito, and Mommy |
| Lulis and her firstborn. He seems quite unamused with the gift, but I can assure you he loved it. |
| Miguelito receives an offering of toys and an Osito Bolo. He looks pleased as punch. |
![]() |
| Daddy and the baby |
![]() |
| Me and the baby |
![]() |
| Lulis and her baby... so cute! |
![]() |
| Me and Miguelito by the tree. It took a while to get this photo. He kept laughing for some reason until he finally settled down. |
![]() |
| Me at the Fundidora where my great-grandpa worked. I look like I could kick butt at this job... maybe? |
![]() |
| I'd have to find an apron that fit me, first. |
![]() |
| Mommy, wake up! We're taking a photo! Merry Christmas, yo! |
![]() |
| I wish I got presents 3xs my size... |
![]() |
| Mommy and Daddy witness the unveiling of the presents... |
![]() |
| Pery and Tia Pera. She's got her apron on. You know some good stuff is going down in that kitchen. Mmmmm... |
![]() |
| FELIZ NAVIDAD, HOMIES! |
Ally











No comments:
Post a Comment